Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tool #6 - Wikis

Well, you learn something new everyday. I've used a wiki numerous times and didn't even know I was using one. I look up things quite a bit on Wikipedia! Anything from different vacation spots around the world to learning more about the Sookie Stackhouse book series. It's the place I like to go. I never thought about using wikis in my classroom maybe because I didn't know what they were...until now. :-)

I like the idea of having an online portfolio for my second graders to post their work throughout the school year for their parents to see online. I feel like this may be a challenge, but the earlier children are exposed to all of this wonderful technology the better. I feel like this will add another layer of that all important parent involvement and contact.

I can see where this would be beneficial to team planning. We could come up with lessons and ideas and meet to discuss all of them in further detail. I like the wiki idea, but I also like meeting with people face-to-face. I work better that way, but that's just me.

I also saw an idea for a wiki that I could use in my personal life. I am also trying to collect recipes from my mother, grandmothers and friends. Creating a wiki that holds all of my recipes sounds like a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment