Thursday, June 17, 2010

Personal Learning Networks - Tool #2

As a novice teacher, I think building a PLN is a great idea. This will enable me to reach out to people that share the same interests as I do. I am always up for learning new ways and methods that will help me become a better teacher. By creating a PLN I expand my "mentors" exponentially. I have learned throughout my education that I learn best when I am fully interested in a subject. This is exactly what a PLN is all about. Centering our worlds around something we are passionate about and want to learn more about. I think PLN are a fabulous opportunity for children to learn to become self starters in their learning and progress their education in fields they find intriguing. It is our job to model this for them.

There were a couple of comment points that rang a bell with me. The first one is that we need to make our comments meaningful and not be a passive blog reader. The next time I read something that truly resonates with me I will leave a comment, maybe even ask a question or two since I am full of them. I also liked the point that we as teachers need to know the importance of teaching children how to comment. If PLN are the way the world is going these days, why wouldn't we teach children how to interact and learn in this manner? Afterall, that is the reason we (teachers) are here. And last, but certainly not least, remembering the power of words. I think this is extremely important. It is sometimes hard to distinguish emotion through a comment, a text, or an e-mail. So, being able to express my opinion on a subject in a manner that does not cause a misunderstanding is key.

The blogs that I will be looking at throughout this journey are:
1. Jello's 11 Tools
2. Cool Cat Teacher Blog
3. 11 Tools Professional Development
4. Mrs. Manchester's Blogspot
5. My Life is Teaching

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of your blog. I have blog envy!! I'm going to play with mine to see if I can spruce it up. So glad you are coming to MWE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have been playing around on here with all of the different tools (especially for tool 3) and I haven't been posting. I need to speed up my pace. :-)

    ReplyDelete